Sunday, June 21, 2009

Texas Hash

Okay, so I cheated on this one a little. Husband makes dinner once a week, and since this was the quickest, easiest thing on the menu this past week, I assigned it to him. I helped though! Since my onion and bell pepper chopping skills are amazing, I chopped 'em up for him. And I chopped 'dem veggies good!

The Texas Hash turned out pretty delish. The recipe gives you the option to use either noodles or rice, and Husband opted for rice. It would be pretty awesome with noodles too, especially some elbow macaroni.

Overall, this is a pretty good dish for a busy weeknight. It reminds me of the hot lunches they used to serve in school, but, you know, better. You could probably improve the recipe by adding some oregano or something, since the only spices in this are chili powder, onions, and pepper. Still tasty though!

Recipe below, not verbatim. Also, the original recipe called for things like, "2 cups cooked tomatoes (#1 can)" I don't really know what that means, and can sizes have changed since 1950, so Husband and I just sort of guesstimated.


Texas Hash

Ingredients:

3 large onions, diced
1 large bell pepper, minced
3 tsp oil
1 lb ground beef
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup uncooked rice (or two cups uncooked noodles)
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Preheat over to 350. Cook onions and pepper in oil until translucent. Add ground beef and brown. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into greased 2 qt casserole. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 15 minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment